Monday, 15 December 2014

War: what is it good for?

#MTBoS is pretty awesome, if you haven't noticed.

A bunch of teachers have done Log Wars.  It seems to came into our community through @k8nowak over at f(t), who got the idea from Denise at Let's Play Math.  It has since then been used in a few other's classrooms as well (goes to show that we need @k8nowak to popularize everything for us!)

The idea is straightforward but powerful for practicing purposes.

But I wanted more in the war.  So I called in some reinforcements: namely 3 more pages of trig, totaling a deck of 60.  I also added an image at the back so it looked nice as well.  I had some background template and font from when I did these ninja boards  info here and here as well(which other teachers and my students seem to love, but I had some doubts about it, and have not re-implemented it since).

side note: I added in trig because I've been weaving multiple concepts together throughout the course... I will attempt to write about it at some point.

The goods:
Here's the file in pdf
Here's the file again in word

(please let me know if the link doesn't work!)

The reason why I shared pdf as well is because the word document doesn't display the font as well...

So, that's fairly straight forward.  Adding trig, nothing special.

War: What is it good for?

I actually created 6 sets of these - each in a different colour, and all of them laminated, then cut with paper cutter.


So... 6 sets... each with 6 pages and 10 cards from each page... 

Here's something else:




Then each pieces of paper was cut individually.  The longer cuts took longer than the shorter cuts.



What's the first question that comes to your mind?  I certainly know what was going through my mind when I was doing all this.

So then...

War: what is it good for?

It's more like: What do you want it to be good for??

Unlike conclusions from Edwin Starr - in my context, it's good for whatever you want it to be good for.

I wrote a bit about harnessing events around us, and I stand by that.  There's so much from our day-to-day that we do.  And if we pause and think about it, there's a lot of interesting questions to be asked -- problems to be solved!

Fun fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment